We had a strange problem with Horde(3.1.4) and IMP(4.1.4) on
PLESK 8.2.1, When I wanted to login to webmail(HORDE IMP), I got the following
error in "/var/log/psa-horde/psa-horde.log" file:
Feb 12 11:24:36 HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN [IP Address] to
localhost:143[imap/notls] as email@example.com [on line 258 of "/usr/share/psa-horde/imp/lib/Auth/imp.php"]
Sometimes it was logging successfully but after 1~2 minutes our session was
expired suddenly and it redirected us to the login page again. I searched for a
while and found the following solutions:
- Check the "/etc/hosts" file and make sure it is correct.
- Check php configuration file and make sure that "session.auto_start =0"
- Make sure that SELinux is disabled
- Change the configuration in the "imp/servers.php" file and change the
"servers" from domain.tld to it's specific IP address, or 127.0.0.1
- Turn off zend optimizer
- Change "$conf['session']['use_only_cookies']" parameter to false in imp/conf.php.
I checked all these recommendations and applied them but none of them resolved
my problem, so I returned all the settings to the
original state, I also rebooted the server but it doesn't help either and the
above error was repeating in the "/var/log/psa-horde/psa-horde.log" file
After investigating log files I found that the following errors are repeating
in the "etc/httpd/logs/error_log" apache file:
[Mon Feb 24 12:28:17 2007] [notice] child pid 6090 exit signal Segmentation
I found that the cause of this error is the "file descriptors (FD)
restriction" for Apache and this error happens when the number of virtual hosts
becomes greater than 300 on the server. There are two solutions for repairing this error:
1) In PLESK 8.2.0 or above you can enable piped logs for
apache web server, This feature allows you to host safely on the default Apache web
server up to 900 domains, to enable this feature, run the following
1. Log in to the server shell.
2. Issue the following command:
# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "replace into misc (param,val)
values ('apache_pipelog', 'true');"
3. Rebuild Apache configuration as follows:
# $PRODUCT_ROOT_D/admin/sbin/websrvmng -v -a
2) In earlier versions of PLESK you should recompile Apache to bypass file
descriptors restriction. You can find more information about this matter at the
How to recompile
Apache,PHP and IMAP with increased value of file descriptors larger than
FD_SETSIZE (1024) on RedHat-like system?
After resolving this error in the Apache web server, the Horde/IMP problem
was solved :)
To find more articles about this problem, visit the following pages: